Monday, January 21, 2013

Hospital in the holidays



Well what a few days we have had. Things just keep getting better and better for us!. Warning: If you are not wanting to hear too much information, turn away now.....!

On friday my kids were still happily at my mums house on holiday in central NSW and I had lots of awesome things for myself planned for myself before we were to head up to pick them up that night. Well, the day started with me finding a rather large lump on my lady area. I had had some pressure there the day before but didn't even think to investigate, but this find was something that couldn't be ignored!. I knew that it could be a bartholins cyst, which I had had once before when I was 19. A LONG TIME AGO. 

A bartholins cyst is when your bartholins gland gets blocked and causes a cyst. This leads to infection and can cause an abscess which is what happened in my case.

So I took myself off to the GP and she told me that I had a bartholin cyst, to take some antibiotic and if it got worse to take myself to emergency. That was friday morning.


Come friday night I was in alot of pain. We had driven to my mums to pick up the kids and I hardly slept I was so uncomfortable. Upon arriving at home I gave myself a bath and tried all the home remedies I could to make this thing go away. 


by saturday night the pain was really bad and I decided that in the morning I was checking myself into hospital. 


Sunday morning came and after another attempt at a warm bath I could take it no longer. The cyst had grown to about 5cm and I was in alot of pain. Hubby dropped me off and I was triaged right away. They took me to an isolated room where they did an examination and it was decided that I needed to have surgery to drain the cyst and give me back my comfort. They took me to the ward to get comfortable, gave me some endone and I slept alot of the day away.

The day was very long and I fasted from about 8am. By the time my surgery came around it was about 8.30pm and I had such a bad migraine that when they wheeled me to theatre the Anaethetist gave me some maxalon and some midazolam to knock me out I was in so much agony and nausea from all of the bright lights.

Its so bizzare going under a general anaesthetic. You wake up feeling so strange like you have no idea where you are. The main thing I felt when I woke up was that the pain had gone. Amazing. 


Today there is only mild pain. Nothing like the pain I had from the cyst. If you ever have one of these cysts I suggest you go and get it operated on like me as it was the best thing I did. 

Let's hope that I never have another one again!

3 comments:

  1. You poor thing! That totally sucks... I am so glad that you are feeling better! Are you home yet? Sending you all the warm fuzzy feelings I have xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jess! yes I am home! I feel so much better, even a little sore than what I did!! xxxx

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Glad you are feeling better x

    ReplyDelete