Tuesday, March 25, 2014

RUNNING MUMS AUSTRALIA



Well HELLO everyone. Yes, I have been missing in action. My last blog post was yonks ago and for that I am truly sorry, however I have been one very busy lady of late and something had to give. This blog was the first thing. The thing about this little space of the web of mine is that I come here to write when I have something special to share or say, or an amazing recipe I must deliver. It's not that there hasn't been many wonderful things to share with you, there has, but there has been little time to share them, and some things I have been leaving to share until I saw that they were well and truly success stories. This blog post is just that. It is a success story that I want to share with you all.

Last September I ran my first full marathon in Sydney. It was one of the most amazing days of my life, and something that I have wanted to do for a very very long time. On that day I not only ran that marathon, I overcame things that I thought about myself. Things like that I couldn't do it, that I was not worth much and that I really didn't have anything much to give to this world. It lit a spark in me that I can't explain. It helped me to see my worth and that hard work and commitment reap a magnificent reward in the end. Yes, I am a mum, but I didn't want that stereotype of a 'just a mum' staying with me for one second longer. I wanted to do something worthwhile with my life and make an impact.

One night I was sitting on my couch and an idea popped into my head. I could start a running network just for mums. These special mums would be in Australia from all kinds of places and we would share and connect with one another, we would meet up at events and encourage one another. We would work with brands and events to let everyone know that mums are amazing and they have a lot to give and a lot of commitment , especially in the fitness industry where running is concerned. We would come from all walks of life and from every state in Australia and we would be one of the faces of Running Mums in this amazing country. We are the role models if you will for our children. That is not a small task. When we are fit and healthy, our children see that and hopefully they follow in our footsteps.

So what started as an idea and a couple of key people that I added to a Facebook group has grown into almost 300 members since August! Every day new members pop up to be added to our membership. They see us on instagram, on the street running in our awesome singlets, they see us pop up on Facebook, they meet us at events. We are slowly taking over the world ....hahahaha.

Only joking.

The most amazing thing about this lovely network is that it is supportive. There has not been one negative thing said in there since it began. Its the most supportive environment I have been part of. The aim of the group is to share and be encouraged, offer advice and support and give tips on running and exercise. We have also set up a blog at www.runningmumsaustralia.wordpress.com where we share our news, reviews, events, programs etc. Many exciting things are in the pipeline.

I have found my passion or should I say it found me. The women I have connected with on the journey are amazing. One thing we all have in common is that we are all mums. And we love to run. Why don't you join us?

I can't wait to see where we end up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment